Vinyl Factory Village
This scheme to regenerate the former EMI record pressing plant at Hayes was the last chance to save a complex of Art Deco buildings and transform positively a swath of industrial land to the west of London.
The history of the site is crucial to the story, the Art Deco concrete buildings were completed in 1928 and housed the head offices of the Gramophone Co. Ltd. and their record label His Master’s Voice. Mergers led to the creation of EMI on the site, but by the mid 1990’s the site was largely mothballed.
Rather than demolish the existing buildings and replace them with a consented scheme for distribution sheds, the scheme retained and refurbished the Wallis Gilbert buildings as loft spaces for a mixed-use development of retail, office, leisure and residential.
The proposal retains and refurbishes the six Art Deco concrete buildings and sets them in a new urban landscape with new residential ‘villages’ at the east and west ends of the site.
The design proved that the retention of these buildings may well be historically necessary but could also be economically viable.
The challenge was to create an the right environment to live and work...
Set against a backdrop of outdated planning policies and local indifference, the scheme sought to balance the need to retain employment on the site whilst introducing a sustainable mix of new uses.
By maintaining the vinyl pressing plant on site and using its music heritage, the concept of a new media village with music and TV studios, independent record labels and other media companies was born; all this sitting alongside a new retail, leisure and residential development.
This was an opportunity to reinvent the site and its buildings, to transform the area into a destination.
Client: Private Equity Co.
Size: 17,000 sqm Retail & Leisure; 37,000 sqm Commercial Office; 36,000 sqm Residential - 325 dwellings; Parking: 1200