Set within the ground of a Listed former hospital building, on the edge of a conservation area and within the Green Belt the site came with its challenges.
Six tired semi-detached 1940's houses providing 18 inadequate bedsits for those needing assisted living were demolished to make way for new purpose built homes designed for independent living yet within community setting.
Extensive consultation took place with the Parish Council and residents to ensure both typology and character met their aspirations. The traditional almshouse became the common theme to the consultations delivering a scale, setting and character unobtrusive to the wider setting.
The scheme creates 18 new one and two bedrooms homes for existing residents ensuring improved living conditions, increased independence and greater privacy whilst preserving existing relationships and maintaining existing networks of support.
Description: 18 one and two bedroom houses
GIFA: 1,140SM (12,270SF)
Status: completed 10
Client: Metropolitan Housing Group
Contractor: Hill Group